For many years OIL’s Charitable Contributions Committee has provided individual donations to a diverse spectrum of Bermuda charities as OIL’s corporate headquarters are located in Bermuda. This year the Committee decided to focus its annual financial gifting toward fewer charities and with larger donations in order to make a significant impact where support is seen to be needed.
We encourage our staff to be active in supporting community giving programs which include internal fund raising events, annual “day of giving” activities, mentorships and volunteering their time through service to a wide variety of Bermuda charities. The following highlights a few of our recent initiatives
OIL Staff volunteer at the Windreach Recreational Village (October 2017)
The Company once again selected Windreach Bermuda for our Community Service Day. We made a cash donation to them and also gave them the gift of “free labor”. Twenty-one volunteers from the office participated in the sensory trail and edible garden clean-up. Significant progress was made to clear the area of weeds, cane grass and Mexican pepper. It really was a “feel good” day for all who participated.
Windreach caters to people with special needs and provides a full-time staff at their facility and a stimulating environment for all to enjoy. Their facility receives approximately 120 visitors a week.
Some of our past charitable initiatives within the Bermuda community include:
- $375,000 support to The Bermuda Hospital Charitable Trust’s ‘Why It Matters’ Campaign
- The restoration of two historic cannons at St. George’s Town Hall
- Annual support to the disadvantaged to attend Summer Day Camps via The Coalition for the Protection of Children
- Annual support to The Family Centre who work with children and families
- Annual support to the SCARS (Saving Children & Revealing Secrets) education program
…. and many other worthy initiatives.